We go to school for everything and place an important value on our degrees and certificates and yet, most people never give a second thought to preparing for one of the most important things you will ever do. Childbirth Education Classes are an important part of the necessary preparation for childbirth and are required by many birthing centers and midwives. Most hospitals even offer some sort of birthing class to prepare you for your big day. While research shows that natural, unmedicated births are best for both mother and baby, not all births are ideal and sometimes different interventions are required. A good childbirth education program will give you the basis for a wonderful birth experience while also covering the information you need in case your birth differs from what you hope for. Why should you take childbirth classes? Click here, here, here, and here for different commentaries on the benefits of preparing for birth.
Mending Heart Bellies Childbirth Education Offerings
Couple Courses: After my twins, Nicholas and Sophia, were born, I didn't feel comfortable taking childbirth classes with other couples. I felt like I knew the 'dark side' of birth and it made my stomach churn to think about sitting in a class with happy first-timers who might see my infertility and loss as a reason why I wasn't "fit" to be a mother or who might ostracize my husband and I due to our circumstances. Although these feelings were, most likely, just an interalization of my grief and not the way potential classmates would have viewed me, it was enough to make me second guess childbirth education. We were fortunate to find a Bradley Method teacher who would instruct us one-on-one; she gave us a priceless experience. If you feel that you would benefit from one-on-one instruction, know that this is an option for you. (4 classes: $200)
Small Group Courses: Sometimes parents want to attend classes with parents who understand their special needs. Whether you are looking for parents who have struggled with infertility and used reproductive assistance to conceive or other orphaned parents who have suffered the loss of a child through miscarriage, pregnancy loss, stillbirth, or infant death, we have classes forming to help you connect with other parents in similar situations who are on the journey of a pregnancy-after-loss or infertility. (4 classes/$175)
Saturday Intensives: The same style class as our Small Group Classes (above) but taught on one Saturday as a marathon class. These classes compress the 4 day/8 hour classes into one Saturday (9am-4pm with lunch 12:30pm-1:30pm). Bring a bagged lunch! Class size is limited to 3 couples. Please note: A compressed class is not for everyone. If you do not respond well to a lot of information and self-paced work outside of an instructor, you would be better served attending either the small group or couple 4-part CBE series'. (1 day/$150)
All classes are taught in Lansdale, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, at Mending Heart Bellies. (Couples classes are scheduled at the scheduling convenience of both instructor and couple).
Are you on bedrest or in the hospital? Childbirth education is still an option! I will come to your location and provide you with the same childbirth education you could expect in a one-on-one setting. 4 classes/$200 plus $0.40 per mile
For complete pricing information, click here
Like us on Facebook!
Looking for other Childbirth Education options in Pennsylvania? Check out these resources.
- Believe in Birth: Prepare for your birth experience with a birthing instructor, writer, and midwife. "Because a fine beginning is a beautiful thing..." For more information, visit www.believeinbirth.com
- Birthing from Within: Focused on initiating parents into birth and parenting, the Birthing from Within philosophy believes that “childbirth is a profound rite of passage, not a medical event” and that “the essence of childbirth preparation is self discovery.” It teaches that “the purpose of childbirth preparation is to prepare mothers to give birth-in-awareness, not to achieve a specific birth outcome.” For more information, visit www.birthingfromwithin.com
- Bradley Classes: The Bradley Method is a series of 12 classes that teach families how to have natural births. Couples are taught how they can work with their bodies to reduce pain and make their labors more efficient. For more information, visit www.bradleybirth.com
- Hypnobirthing: “HypnoBirthing is a unique method of relaxed, natural childbirth education, enhanced by hypnosis techniques that allows women to use their natural instincts to bring about a safer, easier, more comfortable birthing in a way that most mirrors nature. Emphasis is placed on both pregnancy and childbirth as well as on HypnoBirthing. It is presented in five childbirth classes.” For more information, visit www.hypnobirthing.com
- Lamaze: The Lamaze philosophy of birth believes that “birth profoundly affects women and their families” and that “childbirth education empowers women to make informed choices in health care, to assume responsibility for their health and to trust their inner wisdom." For more information, visit www.lamaze.org